Using nitrogen gas is one of the easiest and fastest ways to purge out unwanted air from your desiccator cabinet. But to enjoy this option, your cabinet must come with gas ports — for easy connection to the nitrogen source and for easy passage of unwanted air to the exterior. In this post, we’d be reviewing some of the best desiccator cabinets with gas ports.
Desiccator Cabinets with Gas Ports: Our Top Picks
While the market abounds with desiccator cabinets of different types and by several different brands, only a handful come with gas ports. And even at that, making the right choice from those not-so-many options can be quite challenging.
But after scouring the market to carefully handpick desiccator cabinets with gas ports, our research team went ahead to compare the available options in terms of durability, features, brand reputation, and buyer reviews.
And here are our top recommendations.
1. SP Bel-Art Secador Clear 3.0 Vertical Desiccator Cabinet
Standing 16.4 inches tall and weighing 8 pounds is this desiccator from the Bel-Art Collection. What should you look out for in this device? Let’s start with its design.
It is shaped like a rectangle and its transparent body is made of co-polyester. This unit is made in such a way that it is strong. It blocks out 99% of ultraviolet light which protects any samples kept inside it. Light-sensitive reagents and compounds are safe in this device.
The Secador desiccator is resistant to staining and chemical damage. That means it can hold a lot of different corrosive chemicals or substances without any problems. This device has two latches and loops at the side for locking the unit. Inside of it, there are three compartments for storing lab samples. Another major feature of this appliance is that it lowers relative humidity to 25% in about 8 hours. There are also two gas ports for nitrogen desiccation.
Within a day this desiccator can reduce relative humidity on a considerable number of samples. The stacking is secure even though the trays are removable. This makes it easy to clean the desiccator thoroughly. The unit generally performs well as promised and is very portable. The relatively small size of this device makes it easy to move it from one lab to another. Interestingly, when in operation, the device is almost noiseless. Only a low whirring sound can be heard in a quiet room.
- Delivery of the product is fast and efficient.
- It works as expected without any problems.
- The height of the shelves is good and it is suitable for samples of different sizes.
- It doesn’t cost too much to purchase this device for a home or office laboratory.
- For some people, the shelves may be a little too small and close together because they work with larger samples.
- There are only three compartments in this model.
2. Stainless Steel Desiccator Cabinet With Gas Ports & Shelf
This is another model from the Cleatech store. It belongs to the Stainless Steel Desiccator 1600 series. Weighing 40 pounds, this is a small-sized unit primarily made of stainless steel. It is about the smallest in a line of standardized sizes in the series. We’ll take a look at the design, key features, the performance, and then we’ll dive into the benefits and drawbacks that come with using this device.
It is shaped like a small box. Only it is not made of cardboard; it is made of cold, stainless steel. One can also mistake it for a microwave oven. The hinges and latch are also made of steel. Overall, it has a very solid look that is attractive and engenders trust in the brand.
There is a gas-in port and pressure relief valve that makes it possible to carry out a gas purge. This desiccator is a non-vacuum type so it relies on this specific feature to function. The PVC static-dissipative front window gives you a clear view of the inside of the device. It is surrounded by the 304 stainless steel Gage 16 heavy-duty door and frame.
A single steel-perforated shelf sits inside the unit and rests on one of the many chrome-plated racks. The racks are spaced in such a way that shelves can be placed on them one inch apart. The door shuts tightly all thanks to the stainless steel, chrome-plated, lift-and-turn compression latch.
This product does well in maintaining clean, dry, and static-safe conditions. The front window does what it’s made to do. It disperses any static that builds up while in operation. Varying conditions don’t prevent the door from keeping a tight seal. It is also important to note that the inlet and outlet ports allow a well-regulated flow of nitrogen and other inert gases.
- The stainless steel with Gage16 heavy-duty build gives this device a rugged and durable quality.
- The static control feature works pretty well.
- The single shelf limits the number of samples that can be put into the desiccator at a time.
- Without the use of inert gas, this device won’t work.
3. SP Bel-Art Secador Clear 2.0 Gas-Purge Desiccator Cabinet
Another impressive option is this desiccator from the Bel-Art family. It is the second in the Secador Clear series. The size is a little over one cubic foot and the body is made of clear, firm co-polyester.
The desiccator has a rectangular shape and it can hold 40 cans containing lab samples. Its co-polyester body is solid but not unbreakable and it enables you to store different items that are moisture-sensitive.
One of the features of this device is its ability to block out 99% of ultraviolet radiation. The co-polyester material it’s made of is responsible for this. It is also strong enough to resist the corrosive effect of harsh chemicals. It is even safe from stains and fine cracks that could ruin it. The two gas ports conspicuously placed at the side allow for the flow of gas – which is a critical part of the desiccation process.
There are a pair of latches along with a loop that ensures that whatever is stored within the unit remains secure. It makes for a strong seal. Your chemical and other samples are safe within this device.
Carbon dating samples, seed samples, and whatever else is put into this device stay well-preserved. The expected moisture level is always maintained. It also does a good job of keeping ultraviolet light out. Unwanted air is not the only thing that is kept out of this desiccator, dust particles are also another. They can contaminate a sample and render it useless. But like any other equipment, there are advantages and disadvantages of using this product.
- It is a portable and effective tool for storing small quantities of dry samples.
- The desiccator is sturdy and see-through which makes it possible to closely monitor whatever samples you store in the unit.
- There are no worries about fine cracks, stains, or chemical erosion ruining this device.
- The door shuts firmly and gives the all-important airtight seal.
- The device is a bit expensive.
- The batteries that run the humidity motor don’t last long and need to be replaced fairly often.
4. Three-Door Desiccator Cabinet With Gas Ports, Racks & Shelves
This device is an 80-pound unit standing 36 inches tall. It is a non-vacuum model from the Cleatech family. But there’s more to it. Let’s take a closer look.
At first glance, you might think you’re looking at a small refrigerator. The design gives you that impression. The unit is made of clear acrylic which is one-quarter of an inch thick. This gives it the resistance required to operate efficiently.
Besides the thick acrylic doors, there are stainless steel door frames for added reinforcement. The hinges are also made of the same material but we can’t help but notice the chrome-plated lift-and-turn latch. This unit allows for gas purges as there is a set of gas-in-port and pressure-release valves. It has a functional plenum chamber suitable for uniform gas distribution.
The three doors are firm and hold well. The hinges are made in such a way that they don’t wear out easily. They are also simple to use. The plenum chamber allows for equal distribution of gas. This makes the desiccator work well.
- The device is great for general purpose use.
- The door is sturdy and you can easily see through it.
- The lift-and-turn latch makes an accidental opening of the unit a rare occurrence.
- When the device is used with gas purging, oxygen and relative humidity levels can go down to as low as 1%.
- The device is prone to damage by alcohol and other cleaning agents.
- The lift-and-turn latch may be difficult for some people to operate easily.